Author Topic: Otaku's Dream Memes: Part I  (Read 13273 times)

Offline arukawI niaL

• she might be shaq (S.M.B.S.)
  • Oligarchs
  • Beyond Abilities
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
  • Topic Author
  • Last Login:December 28, 2015, 01:36:36 AM
  • why do you want to know o.O
    • View Profile
    • bemaniso.ws
Otaku's Dream Memes: Part I
« on: December 26, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »
Since the beginning of Otaku's Dream, there have been countless inside jokes and references made infamous over the years that many new and even some established users do not understand. I have taken the time to write as complete as possible, a list of memes that have generated related to the games our users play, the anime they watch, the Stepmania they play. Keep in mind this list is not even remotely close to being finished, but since I will take a long time to finish this list, I will post part I now to satisfy some interests.

"As a kind of lookback into Otaku's Dream's history, I have compiled a semi-complete list of Otaku's Dream Memes, inside-jokes and catchphrases that have seen popularity over the course of Otaku's Dream, both on the forums, irc, and Ventrilo. I will attempt to give a tidbit of background information as to how each meme originated, and if it is still a meme that sees usage today. If you think a meme has been missed from this list, please list the meme and its origin and I will add it."

Otaku's Dream Memes: Part I

I wasn't even there! ~ What's all this? ~ Sic Semper Tyrannis ~ Now you fucked up! ~ We have to be even!
Origin: Youtube to Ventrilo
History: A series of memes started by nick and Typh00n through watching Whitest Kids U Know, a show originally on Fuse, IFC and readily available on Youtube. The most used meme, "I wasn't even there", can be found .

Disregard (Beating my Disregard)
Origin: Stepmania to Ventrilo
History: A meme derived from the difficult Stepmania simfile Disregard by Tear (F5). Nick and Typh00n at the time were both trying to improve in Stepmania and kept playing Disregard over and over. This somehow worked it's way into both of them browsing the website Gelbooru and when it came time for either one of them to masturbate, it became to be used as a replacement word for dick and hence, "Beating my Disregard" was born.

hEY wELL
Origin: Ventrilo
History: A meme started by nick. At this time it is unknown how or why nick started to say this over Ventrilo, but it stuck and it was used very heavily for around 6 months before falling out of fashion. To say this the way nick says it, you must hold certain syllables longer than others, sounding lazy and indecisive.

Why Not (you should)
History: A meme generated from the lyrics in my simfile Why Not (ODM). I give Shameimaru credit for starting this meme, since I believe he was the first one to actively use it. The lyrics go "I've been waiting for the weekend to come, I've been working so hard, I don't ever wanna lose this feeling, baby we got tonight, and the rest of our lives, yeah this party's getting started gonna move tonight, Why Not, you should, listen to the music and dance right through the night, Why Not, don't stop, gonna rock and stop tonight". It is still used today and is common to say 'you should' as soon as you hear someone say 'Why Not'. Saying 'I've been waiting for the weekend to come' is also common.

YO DAWG
Origin: 4chan to Ventrilo
History: Some memes like this one didn't start on Otaku's Dream but we've used them anyway. The image macro of Xzibit and the image macro itself we would make up to our liking. A short lived meme.

Oh ok Chris
History: A meme created by Typh00n stemming from video. nick and Typh00n thought the way the guy said 'oh okay chris' was hilarious and thus, 'oh ok chris' was born and used when anyone said something boring or uninteresting, even if the person's name in question wasn't chris.

WHAT CHU WAUNT
Origin: Borderlands to Ventrilo
History: Typh00n, nick, Shameimaru and I were all playing Borderlands awhile back and during the game we came across an NPC named Crazy Earl, who we thought was hilarious because . This transferred over to Ventrilo and we used it quite a while until we stopped playing Borderlands.

Everlasting
History: nick and Typh00n were playing Stepmania Online right after the Otaku's Dream 2nd Japan Mix came out and came across the simfile Everlasting by Portto. The chorus was epic and the background was equally fitting for the song, creating a joke that stayed on Ventrilo for awhile.

Wow. / Watch out!
History: When the Stepmania pack Xoon 5 came out, there was a simfile called Groundhog (Beat Juggle) by Patashu/Rin-Dude. The song was originally from DJ Hero. The lyrics in the song include a British man saying phrases like 'Wow. Watch out!'. This meme was common while Xoon 5 was new and still pops up now and then in Ventrilo.

Pony Slaystation
Origin: Omg... Did Insane... to Ventrilo
History: This meme stemmed primarily from switching the first few letters or syllables of phrases around for humorous effect, originally seen done on the Omg... Did Insane... forums. Examples are Barles Charkley (Charles Barkley) and Pony Slaystation (Sony Playstation), the latter of which was used by Shameimaru. I used to force this meme quite often on Ventrilo.

Eriol Loops
Origin: Otaku's Dream forums to IRC
History: A very old meme created by Prince to describe Eriol-kun, another user on Otaku's Dream. The image, which accompanies this meme, is a photoshopped picture of a box of Froot Loops cereal with the words changed to say Eriol Loops. Mutations of this meme such as 'Eriol Poops' has also surfaced, although this meme has not seen activity in a very long time.

Wow!
Origin: Hatsu Inu ~again~ to Fairy Tail to Ventrilo
History: A sound effect heard in the 2nd episode of Hatsu Inu ~again~, in which the school nurse is trying to make the male protagonist get an erection, flashing him her boobs and then her vagina. This sound effect was apparently popular, as it resurfaced multiple times throughout the Fairy Tail anime. The sound effect then transferred over to Ventrilo where it was used in reaction to something boring or uninteresting.

blade_anime
Origin: Otaku's Dream forums
History: blade_anime was a person who joined Otaku's Dream somewhere around mid 2008. He never seemed to fit in because his matter-of-fact posting manner and seemed to overreact to anybody that attempted to poke fun at him. nick eventually banned him from the forums but Typh00n unbanned him, citing 'he was too unique of a person to ban'. Typh00n then took it upon himself to change blade_anime's avatar and signature, particularly his signature being changed to a shirtless cowboy with a badly drawn rainbow over his head and blade_anime written at the bottom in pink hearts. blade_anime was displeased with this and changed his setting promptly but Typh00n restored them and removed blade_anime's forum profile changing privileges. Soon after blade_anime left the forums, never to return. His account settings were eventually restored back to their defualts but he still never came back, until November 24th 2009. He changed his avatar to a Megaman Zero image and in his text underneath his signature he wrote, "I'm Back!". Since then he has not returned to the forums. The term blade_anime is used sparingly today, usually to describe a forum user who is unbelievably stupid or an incredible newbie.

The_Transitioner
Origin: Kanamemo to Ventrilo
History: The_Transitioner was a name for lamda00, thought of by nick and Typh00n while watching the anime Kanamemo. In Kanamemo, scenes often changed by having an annoying robot run across the screen spouting a meaningless catchphrase while a crossfade followed behind him. This robot became known as The Transitioner and it was immediately related to lamda00 as he would often come into Ventrilo out of nowhere and start singing some random shit in Japanese or start talking in Japanese to himself. This meme has died for the most part, lamda still comes into Vent on occaison but he generally greets us normally.

UUUURRRRRRRRRRRR / HURRRRRRRRRRRR
History: This popular meme OD has some interesting roots as to how it came to be. Typh00n's says it started after he watched an episode of the Boondocks. He tried to imitate a black person's reaction to something retarded, fucked up, someone getting insulted, etc. That version came out vocally as a 'HOOOOUUUEERRRRRRR' sound. I began using his version around the same time but it came out as a 'WUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEERRRRR'. HURRRRRRRRRRRR became UUUURRRRRRRRRRR when I made a post describing Haruhi Season 2 as depicted here. Why this meme became popular is still unknown but it is used nearly every day in Ventrilo and is usually said in response to an unintelligent comment or statement (or when someone mentions Stepmania).

Tacticool / PeeKing / Gliding / Poomp Gun / THE_FIGURANT / The_Stig / son of bhosted
Origin: Insurgency to Otaku's Dream forums to Ventrilo
History: All of these memes originated from a free to play FPS tactical shooter called Insurgency, available as a free mod download on the Steam engine (provided you have a Half-Life 2 base installed). Back before the game went through a series of updates to fix graphical errors, nick and Typh00n originally started playing this game because of the crazy things that could be found in it. Tacticool refers to a player holding the Q or E key down, allowing the player to look around corners with his gun drawn, it looks very hilarious. PeeKing is a name Typh00n came up with to name himself and only kill people while Tacticooling. Gliding refers to a glitch in Insurgency in which if you try and scope in (right click) and hold the run key down (Shift), your character scopes in and begins to run at the same time. However, when other players look at you while doing this, your feet seem to be moving on air, like walking on a treadmill. Poomp Gun refers to the M4 with Grenade Launcher attachment, in which the gun makes a distinct 'poomp' sound whenever a grenade is fired (usually resulting in instant death for whoever it was aimed at). THE_FIGURANT, the only active meme today, was a French user on Insurgency that almost exclusively used the Poomp Gun and was pretty good at it. We would often be screaming THE FIGURANT after we got poomped by him. The_Stig was another user on Insurgency, Typh00n liked him because The_Stig is a reference to the European car interest show Top Gear. son of bhosted was a name created by nick after he discovered a user named Bhosted playing on our Insurgency server. For some reason his name was looked up and we discovered that Bhosted was actually a real person who had fought and died in Iraq. nick thought this was hilarious and created son of bhosted in tribute. Some funny Insurgency images can still be found here.

woa, lainbow rides!
Origin: Stepmania Online
History: This rather unflattering meme surfaced on Stepmania Online one night while nick and I were playing songs. There was another user in our room who apparently liked me and kept congratulating me on my good scores. When I AAAed an easy anime file however,  we all came out of the Stage Result screen to see him say, 'woa, lainbow rides!', possibly in relation to the rainbow-colored text my name was highlighted in after the stage was over, indicating I had AAAed the song. Nick in particular thought this was extremely hilarious and mentioned it repeatedly in the days to come.

The Boondocks (general)
Origin: TV to Ventrilo
History: Memes from the television show The Boondocks appeared after Typh00n and nick began to watch the show. In particular, the characters Uncle Ruckus and Stinkmeaner have created the most memes since mostly everything they say is extremely racist and therefore have the most staying power. Examples include 'WHATCHU GON DO BOUT IT NIGKUH', 'don't trust that black nigga over there', among many.

Man turns into driveway (WHAT THE???)
History: discovered by Typh00n who thought it was hilarious. The video depicts, as you'd expect, a man turning into a driveway. Whether or not you think of the meaning they are showing is the joke.

The Shakeweight
History: Contrary to popular media, I believe we were one of the first groups to really catch on to the whole 'Shakeweight' humor, months and months before the mainstream media caught wind of it. The Shakeweight is a real exercise device that you grip with either one or both of your hands, and the two pulsating weighted ends bounce up and down, creating resistance for your hands and therefore apparently increasing muscle tone in your arms and biceps. Unfortunately, any legitimate usage the Shakeweight claims is refuted by the fact that it is . We didn't even have to make any kind of jokes about the Shakeweight, the Shakeweight itself is a gigantic joke and it is still hilarious to see real commercials of it on TV.

deal w/ it | haters gonna hate | you look like shit | S.M.B.S. | ya tryna _____ |
Batman Nutsack Asylum
Origin: Omg... Did Insane...
History: Nothing much really to these memes, they all originated (or we at least stole them) from ODI because they were all pretty funny. Haters gonna hate though most likely came from 4chan more than ODI, but it was stuck in the group since it came primarily from there.

Pocket Sand
Origin: King of the Hill to Ventrilo
History: An extremely hilarious for whatever reason meme, the television cartoon King of the Hill had an in which Dale Gribbel is attempting to run away from someone and as a defense, reaches in his pocket and throws sand into the person's eyes, saying 'Pocket Sand' while he does so. It was so random it became a meme immediately.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:02:22 AM by Typh00n »

Offline Ciunek

• SEE'U'NICK
  • Oligarchs
  • Beyond Abilities
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
  • Last Login:May 24, 2019, 01:07:36 AM
  • こんにちは。あたし、ユーフォリアって言います~
    • View Profile
Re: Otaku's Dream Memes: Part I
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
blade_anime
Origin: Otaku's Dream forums
History: blade_anime was a person who joined Otaku's Dream somewhere around mid 2008. He never seemed to fit in because his matter-of-fact posting manner and seemed to overreact to anybody that attempted to poke fun at him. nick eventually banned him from the forums but Typh00n unbanned him, citing 'he was too unique of a person to ban'. Typh00n then took it upon himself to change blade_anime's avatar and signature, particularly his signature being changed to a shirtless cowboy with a badly drawn rainbow over his head and blade_anime written at the bottom in pink hearts. blade_anime was displeased with this and changed his setting promptly but Typh00n restored them and removed blade_anime's forum profile changing privileges. Soon after blade_anime left the forums, never to return. His account settings were eventually restored back to their defualts but he still never came back, until November 24th 2009. He changed his avatar to a Megaman Zero image and in his text underneath his signature he wrote, "I'm Back!". Since then he has not returned to the forums. The term blade_anime is used sparingly today, usually to describe a forum user who is unbelievably stupid or an incredible newbie.

As to vizualize what happened back then:
before adding text filters
after adding text filters

Offline Sargon

• OD Simfile Author
  • Beyond Abilities
  • Last Login:March 24, 2018, 08:35:01 PM
  • hai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:04:35 AM »
lolll pocket sand

Offline Don

• jag gillar jakkar
  • Oligarchs
  • Beyond Abilities
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
  • Last Login:March 06, 2015, 04:19:34 AM
    • View Profile
    • w
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
You should write something about:

;O)
u look like shit
I'm hit
QED

Offline Eriol-kun

• Myo~n?
  • OD Crazy Motherfucker
  • Otaku [Edit]
  • Last Login:April 10, 2019, 05:53:23 PM
  • (*'Д`)ハァハァ
    • View Profile
    • Eriol's Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »
playing for the story
you guys are nurhds
spoilers
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:41:13 AM by Eriol-kun »

Offline MazEi

• Seitokai [Challenge]
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
  • Last Login:November 09, 2014, 05:24:16 PM
  • da da da~
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »
lambda himself

Offline F22ace

• Kouhai [Standard]
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
  • Last Login:December 10, 2012, 03:01:52 PM
  • (>")><("<)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »
hahahaha pocket sand ftw

Offline knighto

• OD IRC Regular
  • Lurker [Beginner]
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
  • Last Login:November 12, 2011, 12:21:32 AM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »
... is lamdas fault everything is lamdas fault.

Tags:

+- Discord

+- Shoutbox

June 12, 2019, 06:46:26 AM Seraph1983 says: 我很喜歡你做的譜面,希望你可以繼續更新
我也想學習製作,但是我看不懂日文
謝謝你的努力,讓大家有資源可以分享
加油 8)

April 27, 2019, 07:55:09 AM konacraze22 says: seems like not much has happened

April 27, 2019, 07:54:54 AM konacraze22 says: It's been such a long while since I last came here...

March 03, 2019, 07:58:19 AM Tania Reyes says: hay linkis que estan caidos y no puedo bajar el mix completo por favor jubo si lo puedes arreglar te lo agradecería mucho :'(

March 03, 2019, 07:57:30 AM Tania Reyes says: hay linkis que estan caidos y no puedo bajar el mix completo por favor jubo si lo puedes arreglar te lo agradecería mucho :'(

October 22, 2018, 03:22:20 AM Beanbom says: This is a very good question.

September 18, 2018, 11:09:02 PM Eriol-kun says: @智貴諸井さん
どんな曲の譜面が作りたいですか?

September 16, 2018, 07:58:37 AM netdomon says: thank you so  much

July 31, 2018, 01:48:59 PM 智貴 諸井 says: 譜面が全然作れません
誰かボクの代わりに作ってくれる方いませんか?
お願い致します。
譜面のための画像や音声、映像はすでに用意してあります。
誰か助けて下さい!
お願い致します。

July 03, 2018, 05:20:19 AM shameikv says: yay

View Shout History

+- New Recent Posts

[Announcements] Re: Otaku's Dream forums verification security increased. by Williamwin July 05, 2019, 12:50:20 AM
[Announcements] Re: Calling all Expert/Veteran Simfile Creators by Williamwin July 05, 2019, 12:45:31 AM
[Announcements] Re: Otaku's Dream Forums need your help! by Williamwin July 05, 2019, 12:38:47 AM
[Announcements] Re: Otaku's Dream Forums need your help! by Williamwin July 05, 2019, 12:30:35 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-493] Wa Ha Ha Cast! - Hitoribocchi no Monologue [Hitoribocchi OP] by Jubo July 02, 2019, 01:44:07 PM
[General Discussion] How to get high quality online writing services help? by Easterwood July 02, 2019, 05:40:13 AM
[Aikyoku's Simfiles] "Yamiyo" - Dororo ED2 Released by Aikyoku July 02, 2019, 02:28:15 AM
[Aikyoku's Simfiles] "Kiss Me" - CAROLE & TUESDAY OP Released by Aikyoku July 02, 2019, 02:23:32 AM
[Announcements] Re: Otaku's Dream Mix 5th -Pad- [Vol 1/4] Released! by RichardRapp June 24, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-492] Black Raison d'être - INSIDE IDENTITY [Chuu2Koi ED]** by Jubo June 22, 2019, 07:11:08 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-491] Study - Never Give It Up!! [Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai ED] by Jubo June 13, 2019, 10:46:11 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-490] Uchida Yuuma - Speechless [Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life ED] by Jubo June 12, 2019, 10:46:31 AM
[General Discussion] Re: One Piece, "Wonokuni", is considered the most tight content. by KennethQ June 11, 2019, 05:24:33 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-489] sumika - Equal [MIX MEISEI STORY OP] by Jubo June 06, 2019, 03:03:54 PM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-488] Study - Seishun Seminar [Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai OP] by Jubo June 02, 2019, 02:33:31 PM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-487] Kenshi Yonezu - Umi no Yuurei [Kaijuu no Kodomo MV] by Jubo May 31, 2019, 03:56:11 PM
[Introductions] Re: Ohayou ! by Seiya May 31, 2019, 09:24:26 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-DJMAX] Forte Escape - End of the Moonlight [Portable1 - 002] by Jubo May 31, 2019, 06:55:29 AM
[Introductions] Re: Ohayou ! by Jubo May 30, 2019, 02:09:21 PM
[Introductions] Ohayou ! by Seiya May 30, 2019, 03:19:28 AM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-486] Aoi Shouta - Tone [Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life OP] by Jubo May 28, 2019, 11:13:24 AM
[StepMania Discussion] Re: Can someone tell me why the difficulty is skewed greatly recently by Serega May 24, 2019, 03:42:05 AM
[General Discussion] Re: How's everyone nowadays? by Serega May 24, 2019, 03:39:04 AM
[Announcements] Re: Otaku's Dream Mix 5th -Pad- [Vol 1/4] Released! by RichardMcDowell May 23, 2019, 07:25:12 PM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-485] Inoue Sonoko - Kotonoha no Omoi [Senryuu Shoujo OP] by Jubo May 20, 2019, 12:37:55 PM
[Itsugo15's Simfiles] Re: Itsugo15 SimifileS 1-30 (Released 31 Oct. 2011) by Itsugo May 10, 2019, 09:28:17 PM
[Jubo's Simfiles] [Jubo-484] RAISE A SUILEN - UNSTOPPABLE [CARDFIGHT!! Vanguard ED4 (2018)] by Jubo May 08, 2019, 09:27:29 AM
[Aikyoku's Simfiles] "Lucky Ending" Released by Aikyoku May 08, 2019, 06:05:32 AM
[Aikyoku's Simfiles] "Again" Released by Aikyoku May 08, 2019, 05:57:32 AM
[Videos, Games, Music & Technology] Re: PUBG Sends Limited Halloween Sets Invites Halloween Scare by Nicholasmax May 08, 2019, 01:29:24 AM